The mission has been the best decision I have made in my life. I See just in my ability to talk to people, to communicate, and understand the promptings of the spirit (the Holy Ghost - 3rd member of the Godhead). I have the greatest opportunity in the world. This week contacting we had many people we shared a message with and even helped.
1) Don- We saw an guy in his late sixties or so walking down the sidewalk with his walker and wearing a neck brace. We went over and started talking to him. Out of no where he asked if we could help him. In the end we walked over to his house and helped lift a large garbage bin of shredded paper into a garbage can and bag. Oh and he made a joke saying "Do you want to know how i got this neck brace? My wife and I were arguing, I was winning, when she karate chopped me in the neck >_<." But he was just kidding.
2) Then THE CRAZIEST THING HAPPENED. We saw an older guy. He looked Asian - older in his 60's. So we went over talked to him in broken English (very). I had the opportunity this time to use my Chinese and I wasn't scared :) and by no means can I speak even a little conversation. Then Elder Miller and I found that he lives in the same house as the house that we have knocked twice (the other 2 times we have "talked" in Chinese). So we have had 3 encounters with 3 different family members.
1)Helped to trim the tree of an older lady in the ward. (which she in her late 70's) says that she still does sit ups in the morning!!
2) Weeded Simmons neighbor's back porch. With the Help of Bro. Simmons.
1) We knocked the door of a referral we received from the Bishop. The Banister's (who are great friends with the Bishop's family). Right as we knocked the door this family had just started 5 minutes prior to knocking on the door watching a movie called 17 miracles. This movie is a compilation of 17 miracles from the pioneers traveling west!! Missionaries have the best timing.
1) Lemmon- This family had signed up to feed us but then that day we went over and had the feeling they had forgot. Though we went in and stayed from 5-6:00 (our normal dinner time ) and had one of the best member visits ever. We ended up receiving a frozen pizza, sharing a message and leaving with a prayer even though they did not know they were going to feed us. On Sunday Sister Lemmon looked at our calendar and noticed that we had scratched a name out and remembered that it had been her. She felt really sad, BUT we told her it was no problem. It was one of the best times we had at a member's home. She said it was great for them as well. That day she was really stressed she told us during this conversation.
So over all this experience really showed me that the Lord will direct us in a way that will bless the lives of others. Even though we have weaknesses the Lord is still able to bless those to whom we serve.
All in all, this was the best the week. Please enjoy your week and See what you can do this week for others!
Love you all
ELDER VAN KAMMEN!
a dog randomly came over and we played ball with it.
the other is a picture of my Mission "Grandpa" (Japanese - Elder Eto) and "Dad" (Elder Counts - white )